Here at Training for Warriors La Cañada we strive to make eating healthy easy. Here is a quick one question quiz. Which is healthier for you to eat, broccoli or white rice? I bet majority of you answered broccoli. Eating healthy is very simple but many of us make it a very complex thing.
The Warrior 20 is a list of foods that we should all have in our homes that will allow us to make the correct decisions regarding food choices on a day in and day out basis. The best way to change your eating habits is to start by heading to the grocery store and purchasing the right foods. Eating healthy is not about dieting, it about changing one’s eating lifestyle. If you are able to do this then the results that you desire will come very quickly.
The Warrior 20 will help anyone looking to get back on track and start eating healthy again. Here are the first ten Warrior foods you should have in your house.
1. Whole Eggs: That's right. Whole eggs are filled with healthy fats and protein that will help with both cardiovascular and brain function.
2. Lean Meats: Chicken, turkey, beef. All provide protein that will help with the production and repair of muscles.
3. Fatty Fish: Also high in protein and Omega-3s.
4. Fermented Soy: high in protein for those of you that are vegetarians.
5. Beans: Black, Pinto Kidney. Eating beans is a great source of fiber and have plenty of antioxidants.
6. Lentils: Don't like the bloated feeling you get with beans, then lentils are the way to go for you. Lentils lack sulfur so you will never feel bloated when eating them. They are also an excellent source of protein.
7. Tomatoes: loaded with vitamin C, which will help bones and a strong antioxidant.
8. Spinach: You can be strong to the finish just like Popeye. Low in calories but high in nutrients, spinach is the way to go.
9. Cruciferous Vegetables: You know what theses are; broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts etc. Theses veggies will keep you feeling full for a longer period of time and help boost the immune system. Who wants that nasty little cold anyway.
10. Avocados: One of my favorites. Filled with healthy fats and a great source of potassium which helps improve muscle growth and regulate fluid levels in the body.
11. Citrus: Fruits like oranges and grapefruits are loaded with Vitamin C which help strengthen connective tissues.
12. Berries: Rich in fiber these are by far this Warriors favorite fruits. Here is a short list of the berries you should be loading up on. Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, and Cranberries.
13. Sweet Potatoes and Yams: Great source of carbohydrates. Yes you can eat carbs.
14. Quinoa: This is a high protein grain and can replace rice for any meal.
15. Amaranth: contains lots of fiber and also high in protein. Another great alternative to rice or pastas.
16. Nuts (Nut butters): Great for Omega-3 fatty acids and mono saturated fats. Here are a few to get you started; Walnuts, Almonds, Almond butter, Cashews, Pistachios
17. Seeds: Rich in fiber and can lead to a fuller stomach. Hemp, Flax Chia and Pumpkin are all good choices.
18. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: high in antioxidants and monosaturated fat. Has great nutritional benefit over just regular olive oil because it is less processed.
19. Water: Just make this the drink of choice from now on and watch the weight come off. Enough drinking sodas or hitting 7/11 on free Slurpee day. Start drinking water and feel great.
20. Green Tea: Helps lower Cortisol and boost immune system. Who does not like a drink that will keep you healthy.
So there you have it. Add the Warrior 20 into your house and watch how you will start feeling better and have more energy.